Happy 4th! As we celebrate our country’s Independence Day, let’s take this time to remember the brave men and women who fought courageously to ensure our freedom as Americans. Please take this time to cherish every moment with your family, friends, and loved ones!
Also, I want to share with you about information for Fourth of July weekend.
Ala Moana Regional Park July 4th Guidelines
The City and County of Honolulu Department of Parks and Recreation will allow the public limited overnight access at Ala Moana Regional Park in anticipation of the Independence Day holiday celebration.
The park is normally closed from 10 p.m. until 4 a.m. daily, but the city will allow one canopy and up to two people, but no vehicles, to remain overnight per site within the park, from July 3 to July 4, in order to establish picnic sites for the holiday celebration. Tents, alcoholic beverages, personal fireworks and animals are prohibited and will be enforced by the Honolulu Police Department (HPD).
With the exception of those involved with the limited overnight access, the park’s closure hours will still apply, and all other individuals and vehicles must depart from the park by 10 p.m. The park gates will open to the public at 4 a.m. on July 4.
The HPD is reminding motorists that traffic in the areas immediately surrounding Ala Moana and Kapi‘olani parks will be heavily congested following the fireworks display.
HPD officers will be staffing intersections to help expedite traffic from Ala Moana Boulevard to Nimitz Highway and the H-1 Freeway.
Independence Day Holiday Schedule
City and County of Honolulu offices will be closed Monday, July 4, 2016, in observance of Independence Day, a federal holiday.
- Emergency ambulance, fire, lifeguard, and police services will be available.
- TheBus will operate on a Sunday Holiday schedule. For route and schedule information, please visit www.thebus.org.
- Refuse will be collected and transfer stations, convenience centers, H-POWER, and the Waimānalo Gulch Sanitary Landfill will be open.Parks, municipal golf courses, botanical gardens, and the Honolulu Zoo will be open.
- The Neal Blaisdell Center box office will be closed.
- The People’s Open Markets will not be held.
- All Satellite City Halls and Driver’s License locations will be closed.
The following traffic and parking regulations will be in effect:
- On-street parking will be free, except for the meters on Kalākaua Avenue along Queen Kapi‘olani Park and metered parking lots.
- Traffic lanes will not be coned for contraflow.